Sunday, September 23, 2012

The last few days!

This has probably been the toughest (emotionally) week so far.  We officially started school on the 19th and I was really glad because I have been really bored.  I have found that boredom in a forgein country is not a great thing. I was working and trying to help out the teachers, but I had minimal directions/instructions on what I was supposed to be doing.  I just sat and watched a lot and frankly some kids are just not that interesting..haha.
Friday things definitely started to turn around.  I met a few new school friends that I will be spending a lot of time with.

Sidenote** For those of you who I steered wrong originally. I am a special needs teacher after all. I thought I was going to be a classroom teacher but was quickly found to be mistaken..=)

So, I have been a little bored this which and I have been having some painful stomach issues.  The people in the building call it the "Beirut Belly."  I finally broke down and went to the school infirmary and got medication and am instantly feeling better.

But, the combo of upset stomach and boredom really made me miss home and want my family and friends.  Michael is much busier than me, so he tried hard to be supportive but he also just received the summer reading for 2 grades about 3 days before school started, so he has a lot of catching up to do.

Saturday things definitely started to turn around. Our President (of the school, unfortunately not Barak Obama) took the new hires and old forgein hires on a Mediterranian boat cruise and it was fantastic. The water was so blue you could see clear to the bottom and the boat was full of an endless supply of drinks and food.  The day was perfect and we got to know our fellow apartment mates a little bit more. It is a unique experience we find ourselves in and its priceless to have "instant" friends or people who can help you when you need information or suggestions.  We feel very lucky we like everyone we live so close to so much.

Kids and School
So far the kids at school are adorable and sometimes I feel like already smarter than me.  They know more wealth and languages in their 3 to 5 years of life than I will know in my lifetime. Most of them already speak French, Arabic, and English.  They have drivers and nannies and take weekend trips to Paris and London. It is unbelievable!  Yet, most of them are very endearing and sweet.  I wore my glasses to school for the first time the other day and a little girl stopped me and said "you have glasses today, you look very pretty." I almost cried on the spot. Last year when I got glasses my students told me I would look ugly..haha..what a difference!
I have been told numerous times from my boss that parents will hate me, special needs is a stimga that is not appreciated here.  This is a little unnerving for me, I really don't like people not to like me, which is weird since I am not always the nicest person in the world. I think I want to choose wether I should like you, not have you decide. That is normal right..=)
I supposedly will have kids with minimal disabilities and challenges and I think that will prove to be true.  However, there is a friend in the nursery(that's age 3) that seems to have something that starts with a big capital A.  I was told not to talk about it yet. =) So, the big A is my sneaky way of letting you all know. I know just call me secret ops. And I think he will prove to be a bit of an adventure!
There are other few kids on my list already.  I found a little girl on Thursday hiding behind the kitchen set in her classroom and then she would slowly creep out (literally creep) and push a little girl standing nearby then run back behind the kitchen.  She did this about three times ( i promise I did try and stop her, although it was quite funny to watch) before the little girl she kept pushing realized that if she went somewhere else she would stop being the target of attacks.  Again, I think I found a new school year "friend."

There is no formal assessment for students in the preschool, so I am hoping to talk to someone about some options of adopting something, we will see where that goes. But, I am excited to do some research and curb some of my downtime.
My biggest worry about the job right now, is that if a kid can not cut it in the school or falls to far behind they are politely asked to go elsewhere. This is the hardest part for me. In the States you are taught to fight tooth and nail for your kiddos and you HAVE to make it work one way or another. Here, its simply thanks for trying and good-bye. Its interesting how things change when wealth is involved.

Finally,

I know people have been hearing about the Anti-American protests all over Beirut. I promise you that they have had zero affect on our lives here.  They were peaceful and school was not even cancelled. So, please don't worry anymore! We are doing great!

Double Finally,
We have moved to a new apartment in building. We didn't want to be on first floor anymore and with the change we were lucky enough to find our new friend Clumsy! Don't misjudge him. He is not as small as he seems.  He literally takes up the entire wall..=) We were also happy to find a dart board and a pretty well done jungle hall.  Pictures are attached!

No comments:

Post a Comment