Monday, September 10, 2012

Another one. I couldn't resist

OMG! I really hate using that phrase but it is the only phrase that perfectly summarizes the last two days!
I have learned two new things in the last 2 days.
1.  The Lebanese love to dance and I mean love. A song with a good beat comes on, it doesn't matter if it is in Arabic or English, and they can not help but move.  Whether it is just snapping or clapping along, they can't help themselves.  It is amazing to watch!
2. The Lebanese love to chew gum.  At my first staff meeting women were eating gum by the handful, it was crazy.  Not just one piece at a time, but handfuls!

So, let me start with Sunday to explain my OMG two days.  I joined a guy from my building and school and two of his friends from another American school for an all day boat cruise on the Mediterranin cruise.  Sounds amazing..right?  Well, it was the first 4 hours!  So, we started out late, of course, and then sailed in a zig-zag, literally a zig-zag while the locals danced to American hip-hop without hesitation! If you want to imagine how they dance, just put on some American hip-hop and then wave your hands back and forth. You are now welcome at any Lebanese club. Congratulations!
So, we anchored for a bit and swam, this was all really wonderful.  But, two hours later we were ready to return home.  It is really hot out there! But, no the Captain continually left the boat in a smaller boat and ran some errands..I think!  So, finally the anchors came up after about 20 minutes of trying and the look on the boat was sad.  People were tired and hot and annoyed, but wait don't worry not for long!  They captain threw on some Arabic hip-hop (i think) and the people couldn't resist.  The boat returned to its original glory and it was bumping...I am very glad that I did the ride, I just wish it had ended about 3 hours earlier.  All and All the trip was 6 hours, that is a long time in the hot sun at a non-stop dance party!

Then our cab driver on the way home, refused to use any turn lanes, which is not super unusual, lanes on the road here are simply for decoration, he then proceeded to turn next to a car rather than wait his turn onto an exit ramp to the highway and gave the car next to a friendly nudge! And nobody said anything about it, we just kept on driving! Craziness!

Today was my first real day of work here and we started with a faculty meeting, but before that there was about an hour of hugs and kisses and excited good to see yous everywhere.  The Lebanese love to kiss. The once on each cheek is not enough, so they do three.  It takes forever! Thankfully, I avoided all kisses today!  All the teachers seemed so genuinely happy to see each other. There was laughter and excitement everywhere.  They really are an animated and happy culture.  Of course, I did not understand a word of anything, but it was fun to watch and feel the good vibes.  Many  of the women spoke to me and were very friendly, but it is so weird to be the only person in the room who doesn't know what people are talking about.

Then we went to our staff meeting and nobody listened through the whole thing! Everyone talked to the people next to them and did not seem to notice the meeting going on around them.  It was like nothing I have ever seen before.  Unfortunately, again I did not understand any of what was being said around me, although the meeting was being lead in English.  Shocker! I get called on for an english language question, and have not been paying attention so I don't know the answer in front of my boss...yikes!  Thankfully, I mumbled a few things and we quickly moved on and everyone started talking again.  Maybe that is why they chew so much gum, because it is the only way to stay quiet in a meeting..=)

The women I work with are wonderful, but I am the only non-Lebanese woman in the my building.  I think I experienced my first real culture shock today.  We would break into small groups and everyone in the group would try and remember to speak English, but of course, naturally, would slip into their native tongue and I would just smile and nod along.  I am beginning Arabic classes in a few days which should help, or so you would think, however!!!! The women in my school are all trilingual..thats right three languages!  I can barely speak one!  So, to keep up with all of them I would also have to become fluent in French! No, big deal..right!
It is amazing, that in a building of 40 plus staff, 99% of them speak 3 languages.  What a school system and what a lot of work.  I felt slightly inferior today.  I am sure I am better at things than them, but I still can't wrap my head around knowing 3 languages..3!!!!!

I kept thinking in the meeting today, what have I gotten myself into!!  Everyone kept telling me to remind them to speak in English.  I feel very torn about doing this because why should they all adapt to me.  In the States, they couldn't tell me to remember to speak in Arabic. I would just expect them to know English, so why don't they have the same expectations for me?  I know, I know..its an American school and I got hired knowing I only speak English, but it is still an interesting thought.
It was so weird to be in a room with people and try and easedrop, everyone who knows me, knows this is, dare I say, a hobby of mine..=) and not have even a clue of what was being said.
But, seriously, it was a very strange day and quite an adjustment.  I think I am in an invaluable situation where I get to learn so much about something right from the source.  I will key words and customs and traditions from who better but the people that live it everyday.  I keep remiding myself of this when at times today all I wanted to do was scream and say just speak frikin English...PLEASE!!!'

Oh today I was also told that my office would be in a container next to the school.  I quickly followed up with "a container,...is it in the building." "no"..."does it have a window?"  "yes"..hmm I am hoping something has gotten lost in translation and my office is in a trailer more than a container or my next post will be sent from the inside of what I am imagining as a storage unit!!

I feel like this post was a little chaotic, but I have a lot of thoughts and feelings right now and trying to focus on one is proving to be a challenge.

Thanks for reading.

I get to go on another boat cruise, this time with all the people from my school on Saturday. I have to say I can get used to a life where I take two boat cruises a week on the Mediterranian...

Attached is a photo from my first boat cruise!

Ps. In case you were wondering and willing to read this far, Michael will not follow me on my blog...=)

2 comments:

  1. Ha, I <3 you. Laughing out loud. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Everyone kept telling me to remind them to speak in English. I feel very torn about doing this because why should they all adapt to me. In the States, they couldn't tell me to remember to speak in Arabic. I would just expect them to know English, so why don't they have the same expectations for me?"

    I LOVE this thought! I always wonder that about our country, especially when I hear other staff make comments about how our kids and their families should 'know/speak English by now', just because we're in the States or because they've been here for a while. I think it's just silly to have certain expectations like that. Would other people expect the same things from us??
    - Stephanie Patrick (Wilson)

    ReplyDelete