Monday, March 11, 2013

Teachers Day!

On Friday was teacher's day. It is like Teacher Appreciation week but you get the day off and some teachers get way better presents. Teacher's appreciation week usaully boils down to a much of stuff you don't really want from kids or nothing at all, which is fine!  At least, it always ways for me, maybe it is just me..=)
Teacher's Day this year was a weird situation because of the strikes. At first teachers were not supposed to expect gifts because the parents had been complaining about them and how little school we were having. That idea quickly went out the door. Several of the elementary school teachers ended up with ipad mini's.
I even got a gift from my KGII kids. The moms all went in together and got me something. I couldn't believe it. The mom that came to drop it off for me had to ask who and where I was because we had never met and they gave me a real gold bracelet. I have never had anything real gold and a bunch of strangers gave it to me as a gift. Crazy!  I think its real gold anyways, I am going to return it to the store and we will see what happens!

We also get the day off on Friday for teachers day which is really nice because Thursday they had a huge celebratory dinner.  I was warned that there would be a receiving line when we got to the hotel dining room and I was dreading it.  The Lebanese do three kisses instead of two and it is so awkward. I always mess it up, sometimes I am too close to the other person, sometimes too far, sometimes we bump heads, it is really a dreadful experience for me and I avoid it at all costs. Thankfully, we got to the banquet a little early and missed most of the receiving line, at one point there were at least 15 people in line, that is a shit ton of kisses, I can't do the math but I am sure its a lot!  I also decided to play the American card and just shook most peoples hands. I am was worried about people being offended but then everyone just got super drunk so no one remembered. Score 1 Tracy, Lebanon kisses 0.  Michael had to give a bunch..sucker!

At the dinner there were a bunch of speeches and awards given out and then we ate from a buffet and then music started which means the Lebanese have to dance!  A Lebanese dance party is always a good time and everyone is usually quite good.  So, I joined in with my preschool teacher friends and our assistant and head director, who both scare me to death.  They are both wonderful women and great at their jobs but they are no holds bar and when you make them mad, look out! Thankfully, I have not done that yet! I wore a really cute grey dress from a Portland boutique, boots, and I got my hair curled and I was under dressed.  Tight and short seemed to be the theme of the evening.  The women teachers here spend all day getting ready, hair, nail, make-up, it is a riot. This is not the night to slack off on your looks!

We ended the night at a local bar just a few of us and had a great time. I have been lucky enough to have been befriended by a woman at my school.  All of the teachers talk to me when they see me and are very nice but she is the only one that invites me out after school and is including me with her friends.  It is weird to be in that place again of learning how to make friends and not being too forward since I  have so few other friends here. But, she is really great and I am very fortunate.

This Thursday we are going to see our first live music show besides the rap battle  and I am really excited. I read about him in a magazine and is music is on youtube, I have not decided if I like his music or not yet, but I am excited to go somewhere new and do something different and support a local artist.  It is late on a Thursday night and I am already dreading the early wake up but itll be worth it in the long run!

We leave for Budapest and Prague in two weeks and I am soo excited!  They are both most to be amazing places to see.
Sorry no pictures this week, the ones from teacher's dinner did not really turn out.


No comments:

Post a Comment