Sunday, March 31, 2013

Spring Break

I just got back from Prague and Budapest yesterday and had a hard time returning.  Prague and Budapest were so, so, so cold, so I was looking forward to coming home to warm weather. But both countries were also so, so, so peaceful and beautiful.  I know Beirut has its own charms and beauty but it is not around every corner like in the countries we visited.

We went to Budapest first and it was gorgeous and cold..did I mention that already?..We spent a lot of time just walking the city.  We saw Parlament and the House of Terror.  I did not realize before going to Hungry what a challenging time the country had.  The Nazis and the Soviets set-up headquarters in one building, now the House of Terror and while there they enforced laws that terrorized the people of the city.  Everyone turned on each other and everyone was under suspicion, thousands of people died.  Yet, through all of this sadness the country is filled with great beauty. We had heard before the trip that the Hungarians are a subdued culture and we found that to be true, but also very nice.  While there I discovered Ruin Pubs, were are bars built into the old abandon buildings and they can be re-decorated but not renovated.  So, we found a really cool one by our house and had a great time at it. It was super cheap to eat and drink in Hungry.


We did the same things in Prague, wandered the city and went into a few museums.  Both cities were so full of charm and I would highly recommend them. I think a summer trip would give you a whole new perspective on both cities because beer gardens would open and it would be sunny instead of snowing.

I wish I had funny stories to tell of our great adventures but it was just a nice peaceful, fun trip.

I turn 30 in a few days and am not sure how I feel about it. I am mostly ok with it but it is sad to spend it without any family except Michael.  Oh well, a birthday in Beirut will definitely be something to talk about in years to come.  And my school loves me so much they scheduled a guest speaker to lecture at our school on my birthday til 6:30 at night. Yay!  It will be interesting to see how the Lebanese teachers do in a long lecture. They are not quiet ever, even when our director is speaking so a 4 hour long lecture will be really trying for some. My plan is to wear a t-shirt that says I am American and I am being quiet. So, I don't offend the speaker..=)

                                                                         BUDAPEST!







                                                                      PRAGUE!

















No comments:

Post a Comment