Thursday, January 17, 2013

And we're back

So, we came back to school on the 2nd of January and still have not had a full week of work.  Last week Beirut and the surrounding areas got so much snow and rain that the Minister of Education shut down all schools for 3 days!  It was really nice.  However, since we have missed so much school already, IC has cancelled our February break.  I am no stranger, to having to make up school days, so I kind of ok with it. BUT...why is the allocated number of school days the 1 rule that Lebanon follows. SERIOUSLY! People run red lights and park on sidewalks and bomb each other, without persecution but too few schools day, sends everyone into a frenzy! Oh well, its Beirut. That is the mantra every time there is something confusing or wrong here. We have probably told you this before!

Yesterday, we had parent teacher conferences, I always wondered what it would be like to be the most hated person in a room. I often wondered -What Obama would feel like at a Republican Convention or how it would feel to be Jewish in Lebanon. Thankfully, yesterday I got my wish.  It is very uncool to have a special needs child in Lebanon, more uncool than not wearing brand name tennis shoes or being a domestic helper.  So, when parents see me coming, there is an instant look for fear and disdan.  Some parents refused to even let me meet with their children. The others constantly ask "is it only my child you see," "is my child worst than the other children" (more often than not the true answer to this is YES, but we pretend not too compare.  There is also a lot "my child is nothing like that at home, I am surprised you see that at school." Interesting! Well as long as he is fine at home, I guess we don't have a problem here. Duh!  Oh well, its Beirut!  Please, do not call me when IC politely puts your child on academic probation and then even more politely asks you to find a school that is more suited for your student, in the dreaded and horrible world of public education. what would people say then!!! IC has to keep up their 98% pass rating on tests and your child will hurt the curve, so good luck!  I am a little put off today, can you tell..=)

On a happier note, my Economics class is going well so far! Yay! I can now take any money you offer and put it in the stock market and make you millions, I have after all been taking the class for a whole 2 weeks!

We also found a new bar that we can walk to that has really good happy hour, so I have been 2 times since Wednesday, nice work me! It is some of  the best quality  non-lebanese food we have found here. The lebanese make some amazing local food, but their intrepretation of American food can leave a lot to be desired. I also blame the amazing food scene in Portland, for making other food always seems a  little subpar!

Last night we tried to watch a illegally burned dvd of The Hobbit, that I bought at a local video store and it started out strong but quickly the words and the mouth no longer matched! Cutting corners doesn't always pan out but I am happy that I currently live in a place where a store can sell burned dvd's. Its no longer a taboo subject, well it's Beirut, we have bigger issues!

Here are three pictures from around town. I need to post more of these types of pictures.

 Our first hot toddys in Beirut, at our new favorite bar
 the back area of another restuarant, its beautiful back there but the food is just ok
I just like this sign and it doesn't seem to belong to a business..he just looks so happy to help

No comments:

Post a Comment