Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Its been a bit!

So, let's start with the bombing from two weeks ago.  I wrote down all my feelings and thoughts after it happened, but I am not sure about posting it because of the lack of freedom of speech in Beirut. So, I will try and sum it up.

We didn't even know the bombing happened until we read about it, we did not feel it at all. It occured about 15 minutes away.  We stayed in our building and in our local area for the weekend.  There was no reason to get ourselves in any potentially dangerous situation.  There was a lot of tire burning and protests.  Once and awhile the smell of burning rubber would waft its way to our building.  2 days later the city was back to its busy, loud self. The Lebanese recover very quickly!

I have decided that since this new job allows me a lot! a lot! of free time that I would try and set some professional goals for myself.  Please notice that none of my goals involve working out which is ridiculous since I get done with work everyday at 2.

My number 1 goal is to be complimented on an outfit I wear to school.  Not by an American.  I am definitely the nerdy American teacher at the Preschool.  The local teachers wear outfits that I would wear out for a nice dinner or for drinks with a friend.  A woman the other day literally wore a tube top! Needless to say a tube top and my Ann Taylor loft wardrobe do not match. Since, I no longer own tube tops, I have to think of something else.  I have been banned from Pajama jeans from my husband, but I am pretty sure they would get me the win in this goal.  Shelby and Molly have banned me from diaper pants so again, I am way behind.  I think I have the shoes nailed down because almost everyone owns a pair of converse shoes with spikes on them..no joking! So, I just have to find the longest spike shoes possible! Any other ideas is appreciated. I will keep you posted on my progress.

My number 2 goal is to get my 5 year re-certification done for Virginia and begin working towards a General Education endorsement. I am really excited about this but the time change is making things a little more difficult because I can't call and ask questions whenever I want. But, I am confident this will work out. Although my track record with getting things done in the teaching world isn't great.

My number 3 goal is to learn how to make cake balls. They are a delicious treat sold in a bakery here and I am obsessed with them and they make me giggle whenever I talk about them.  They are small, round balls of undercooked cake in a multiple of favors. I am pretty sure this goal is impossible but I am going to do my best to try!

Finally,
This past weekend we had a 4 day weekend and we made the most of it.  On Friday we created a building wide decathlon and had a blast. There was beer pong, flip cup, and roof drop just to name a few.

Then on Sunday we went to Byblos which is an amazing fishing town about a half an hour away and had a great time.  There is a crusader castle there that is over a 1000 years old.  Oh the stories it could tell and the amount of people that have been there.  Crazy! It was also super nice to get out of the city for awhile and not hear honking horns every 5 minutes. 

Pictures from all weekend events are below

                                            Rooftop Drop. We dropped napkins rings from the roof into a bucket!
                                          The black raincoat team!
                                         The columns in Byblos
   This was found after an earthquake. There may or may not be a dead body in there..=)
                                         Byblos!

No comments:

Post a Comment