Saturday, October 19, 2013

This Summer!

This Summer was nothing short of amazing!  The first two days were rough. Michael brought Beirut Belly back to the States with him and I brought a low alcohol tolerance to Sonoma, which meant a lot of unpleasantness for us and our poor hotel maid.  We left her a big tip..=) The rest of the time was great.

Then it was off to Portland, which was perfect. We got to celebrate Shelby's big 30 and we got to meet the brand new addition to our Portland family Maribel. Who is perfect by the way! We were lucky enough to get days with the Asher family before and after the birth which was great. I also got my first girls only night with Mariana, something I want more of!

After Portland, it was off to D.C. I got a few days at home by myself while Michael visited his brother in Colorado. I was politely told that although he loves him he looking forward to some brother time without me..haha

D.C. was also perfect. It was not the usual 300 degrees and I got to do lots of fun stuff with my family and friends. Will only hit me a few times and spit at me a few more, quite the improvement. Just kididng, I love that guy more than I can explain and one day the feeling will be mutual.

A few short weeks in D.C. sent us off to Brussels. Our hospitality in Brussels was great. We couldn't have been more forutnate to have a place to stay with a friend. Brussels however, was not the most exciting city I have ever been too. They do have 100s of beers to try, each one served in a specialty glass with the name of the brewing company on it. This was my favorite Brussels tidbit! 

We also did Amsterdam and a soccer game, both fantastic! I would highly recommend a few days in Amsterdam



 Amsterdam!!









Then went rode the train to Paris and had another great place to stay. I got my picnic at the Effiel Tower, which was everything I wanted, as well as a trip to Champagne region, again something I have always wanted. The drive alone out to wine country is worth a trip. The little french villages are adorable and charming. I highly recommend Champagne region, but do suggest that you stay away from Moet and Chandon, for the price of the ticket and cost of the tour, the hospitality was poo-poo. We sat in the tasting room with two glasses of Champagne with two plastic chairs and the entire staff gone. It was super weird.

Then back to Brussels and Bruges, Bruges is really amazing. A quiet and charming town with some really fun stuff to do. A night or two is plenty but very worth a visit.


Finally, I got lucky enough to tag along on an Ireland trip with Callie and Allison and another soccer game. Ireland vs. Sweden for the chance at the World Cup. The game was not much to see but everything was fantastic. We did a really fun roadtrip through the South and found one of the cutest bed and breakfast ever, as well as a lot of great laughs.
 Ireland!!!


Although the Summer was probably one of the best of all time, towards the end an underlying concern about Beirut flowed. We read a lot of scary reports about Beirut and heard a lot of scary things from people that were currently here. We got a couple of understanding emails about not returning, we had more than one slightly drunken debate about the seriousness of returning. While I was in Dublin Michael headed back to Beirut without me, I hated having him here without me and President Obama threatening strikes in Syria. It was really intense. I didn't know if I should come or stay in Ireland another few days and Obama kept putting off his decision. The indecision is the worst part and it appeared to be in the only news story even in Ireland. Of course, Callie and Allison were beyond understanding for random freak out sessions.

It was very weird to have a Presidential decision affect you so heavily. Yes, his decisions might affect me financially or in my job security, but never had his decision put me in potential danger. It would have been very unsafe for us to be in Beirut if he had decided to attack. There were lots of school plans for getting us out and hidden away for a few days. And then of course the decision was put off time and time again, and just like that it was settled. I knew in my gut that things were more dramatic than necessary in the news but how stupid do you feel when you don't listen and you get trapped in Beirut?
Clearly things worked out and we picked up our life here same as before. We are in a new apartment this year, same building but top floor. Which is a nice change. My job is busier this year and I am taking two online classes, so boredom is not an issue right now, which is also a nice change.

We just got done with a nice visit from Michael's parents. It was so fun to show someone Beirut and put to rest of their worries. Then we got to go to Athens together and had a wonderful time. Athens is a neat city but the islands are really want makes Greece beyond special. We only did 1 island this trip but it was enough to get hooked. We went to Hydra, which has no motorized vehicles, but you can ride donkeys!

Athens. Michael said we always pose this same so all we could come up with was this! I call it the i don't wanna touch you pose!


Unfortunately, I don't have any funny stories to report yet, but give it time. It is Beirut after all.  I can't believe it's almost November. I think this year will shock us in how fast it goes by. We are already thinking about our Christmas travel plans. We are hoping Africa if prices work in our favor! It is fun to base your year on traveling.

No comments:

Post a Comment